With all of this going on, I don't seem to have much head space for creativity. Poetry continues to whisper and suggest. All I really need is to make some space, get out the notebook and pen and let happen. Maybe this weekend, since I have no major plans. A walk with a friend tomorrow, a walk with L today if the rain eases, a very short one if it doesn't. Next weekend I'm off to visit my Ma for the first time in a while, as the Census prevented me from going away at weekends for over a month, and now we're waiting for the French Open to be on, so we can do our favourite companionable mother-daughter thing of watching tennis together. I shall also see my aunt and uncle while I'm there, which is a rare treat these days.
The allotment's doing splendidly with calabrese, beetroot and spring onions now romping away, the potatoes beginning to show a few leaves, the broad beans surviving well and flowering like mad despite the pea and bean weevil, the savoy cabbages getting quite big now, and the strawberries flowering promisingly, rhubarb growing great big pink muscular stalks.
We watched Inside The Human Body on the i-Player last night. Despite such gimmickery as the blue sperm and the rugby players looking competitively at theirs wriggling about on a big screen in Trafalgar Square, the awesomeness of human conception and birth shone through. The tiny tiny chance of ever becoming a fertilised egg at all, of ever making it to become a viable human foetus, of ever starting on this so very strange adventure at all.
4 comments:
Work, learning, outings, allotment - sounds good and sufficient unto the day! The creative is alongside - don't know why I say this with such conviction. Probably because saying it to myself too :)
...well I like to hear you say it...
It does sound very good and full. Bound to be a bit trepidatious, but imagine if anyone had told you a few months ago this is where you'd be?
Yes, it is odd when you take life down to its biological beginnings... it all seems impossible. Like when you start contemplating space, planets, the immenseness of it all, and the relative size of a housecat in comparison to the rest.
Post a Comment