An old friend has tracked me down via the internet. It's the second time this has happened to me. Last time it was a university friend, and we had a rather intense flurry of correspondence some years ago, which culminated in a couple of meetings, then gradually faded away. This time it's a sixth form friend with whom I lost touch when we all went off to university, and maybe more significantly when I moved with my mother to London around the same time. I am enjoying a rather frequent exchange of bits of our life-stories, memories and updates about mutual friends. I don't expect to sustain it, but it's rather compelling for now, and has steeped me in memories of that time, and in some strange sense of connection, of the simple continuation of all our lives in parallel. We'll all be fifty in the next year or so, along with my dear old earlier school friends. A time to ponder the passing of time, the coming and going of friendship, the ordinariness and specialness of all our lives. I find I feel validated, made more real in some odd way by this exchange.
A lovely rainbow appears as I write, the third or fourth we've seen this week - I go to the door and stand with my face upturned to the rain and the sunlight. A perfect arc, and the hint of another above it. Raindrops on my glasses now as I write.
2 comments:
Good news indeed about A, and curious about the reappearance. (Still feel I'm quite happy not to have any such unexpected blasts from the past mind!)
Things are looking up! Enjoy your new/old friend, A's release, and your rainbow. May they all bring you joy.
Post a Comment