Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Webs

I have now got so many small jobs, I actually struggle to answer the question how many? I work in five different settings, one of them being my home where my private practice is based. Another job, though working for an organisation in a nearby town, mostly involves working from home. There are two schools and a university. At the moment my head feels a messy jumble of fragments of work-related information. Most of the work is new, and there is much I don't yet know or understand, loads I need to do and haven't yet got to grips with. I don't like the way this is making me feel. I fear I may not have the right temperament for a 'portfolio career'. But at least I have work. When I look back a year, I am at least very grateful for that.

Spiders everywhere. In their webs in corners, at the tops of window frames, between car wing mirrors and cars. Wherever I am, on a train, in a room, driving, I seem to look up and see the striped legs of a spider, when I'm walking invisible webs brush my face.

A starts a Masters degree tomorrow at the university where he did his first degree. You can imagine my pride and pleasure, and my slight trepidation...

Warm weather just this side of the equinox. Golden autumn days, and t shirts, cut-offs and sandals get a reprieve from stowing away for the winter.

We went to see the new Almodovar film, The Skin I Live In, on Sunday. The man's a genius in my book. He's just 62, and the older he gets, the more accomplished his work becomes. I don't really do reviews, but I recommend it very highly. A few adjectives to whet your appetite. Theatrical, balletic, mythic, absurd, mysterious, subtle, grotesque, beautiful, disturbing, strange.

I will try to write here more again. It has been an odd time. I need to find a prompt to get me in the New Post box regularly.


2 comments:

Marcheline said...

Living in New York, you'd think we'd have access to all sorts of interesting films. But that's only in New York CITY. Those of us out on Long Island must be considered idiots, as we are confined to "opiate of the masses" - mainstream pablum only. I would love to be able to go and see a truly interesting indie film on the big screen without an hour long train ride into the city! Thanks for the recommendation, will have to look that one up and see if it came out on DVD.

Lucy said...

I've been leaving the wing mirror webs on my car on purpose, they get ever more intricate and their toughness amazes me, and I like to think of having well-travelled spiders!

All the best to A for his masters, may he go from strength to strength.