I have just heard that my meeting at the school tomorrow morning has been postponed til next week. Having already been put off since early January, and having spent several hours today and yesterday preparing, and (as you know) being desperate to start earning some money, I am not amused.
I have however just filled out an online application to be a Census Collector. How this takes me back. In 1991 I was a Census Enumerator in West Twickenham. I used to cycle over there on my trusty blue touring bike (the one that soon after got nicked from the shed), and bang on doors all afternoon and into the evening, encouraging old ladies and young go-getters to fill in their census forms. Getting inside people's houses is always interesting... This time I won't be cycling, and I don't know if the area I get given will be as benign as West Twick. I hope so. Anyway they're paying £8.02 an hour (don't forget the all-important 2p), so for 25 hours a week, I'll make £200.50. And then a £75 bonus at the end if you get everything done and return your little bag of materials intact. So that's my April spoken for. But easier than trying to get permanent work hereabouts at the moment. And the money will pay the mortgages for 3 or 4 months, so I'm quite happy.
The other work I've been waiting to hear about, teaching small groups of students at the School of Medicine in Leeds half a day a week, isn't going to happen til September now, but hopefully some time in the next few months I'll get an interview for that, and get it lined up for the autumn. Supposedly it's teaching skills relating to leadership and management - like team-working and conflict resolution. But to be honest I know almost nothing about it. I'm hoping to go and sit in on a session some time so I get more idea. A friend who works there has put me onto it and assures me I could do it standing on my head.
Is it boring or is it interesting having to find work one way or another? A little of each I guess. I am still a psychotherapist really of course, and it is to be hoped will get paid again for my services some day soon. Like if the school stop fobbing me off and actually get this thing going they've said they want to do.
Meanwhile we had an adventure trying to find the home of the guy with the tickets for the reading on Saturday. Way down a small dark road, right by the river. We stepped onto a little bridge and looked down at what must have been the door, but could see no way to get to it other than a daredevil leap. Eventually found another door and tapped on it. It took the guy a full minute and a half to unlock all the bolts and locks, but it was the right place, if not quite the right door. He assured us there was a gate from the bridge where we were... Hmm. It was dark I guess. Anyway we have the tickets, hurrah! Looking like it might be Wagamama's for the meal as no Pizza Express bargains available (expired in January). A big bowl of noodly soup with stuff floating in it (prawns, tofu, vegetables) is a thing to look forward to.
1 comment:
Ach, bollocks! But admiration in your direction for keeping on. I know you might say you have no choice - but that doesn't make it less admirable.
Looking forward to hearing your response to the George Szirtes. I follow his blog. Love it.
Post a Comment